Everyone wants their home to look beautiful. Landscaping is important but the number one item on a homeowner’s list is the exterior presentation. This begins with an elegant façade. While many homeowners believe that painting is a simple job, there are many things that must be taken into consideration. Painting the outside of a home is also very time consuming. Ultimately, the best option is usually to engage the services of a professional painting company. But once that decision is made, there are a number of questions you should ask a prospective business before hiring them.
Perhaps the most important question to ask your potential painters is whether or not they are insured. Today’s painting companies should hold two types of policies – workmen’s compensation and business liability. Ask to see the policies to ensure they are up to date. The last thing you want is a painter getting hurt on the job at your house!
- Determine if the job will be subcontracted out once it is offered. Subcontracting can be risky for the homeowner. Contractors choose this option because it costs them less but it can result in shoddy workmanship.
- Determine the quality of paint that will be used and have this noted in the painting contract
- Find out if the contractor you speak with will be overseeing the job. Often a company will secure a painting job and then make themselves scarce until the bill is presented. You want to know who will be overseeing this work.
- Ask the paint company representative about their experience. How many jobs have they done? Do they have references? Are there any homes in the area they have painted that you could drive by and see? If the company is hesitant to provide this information, then they are probably not the right ones for the job.
- Request a list of organizations the company may be associated with, such as the Better Business Bureau or other trade associations. The more associations, the better as it helps to ensure their reputation.
Your home is likely your most valuable investment. Cutting corners on upkeep often costs you more in the end. The professionals at University Paint will be happy to discuss our services with you. We are confident you will find us second to none!!